Meenakshi Amman Kovil in Madurai is a world famous Hindu temple. The main deity is Meenakshi Amman, an avatar of Parvati. The temple perhaps is 1,400 years old.
Architecture of Meenakshi Amman Kovil
The temple occupies a huge area of 14 acres. High walls surround the premises. Four massive gopurams or towers act as gateways to Meenakshi Amman Temple. The South Tower is the tallest, at 170 feet. The gopurams showcase a large number of Dravidian sculptures which depict mythological stories.
Fourteen more gopurams are inside the temple walls. Each of them is a multi-storey structure. Sculptures cover the exteriors. The smaller gopuams serve as gateways to several shrines. The main two shrines are dedicated to Meenakshi and Sundareswarar. Other shrines house several deities including Ganesha and Murugan.
At the centre of the temple complex is the sacred Golden Lotus Pond or Porthamara Kulam. The pond has an area of 1 acre. Fish, frogs and other aquatic animals do not exist in waters of the pond.
The temple includes a number of large halls or mandapams. Many kings built the halls over time and they serve as resting places for devotees.
Largest of the mandapams is the Hall of Thousand Pillars (Ayiramkal Mandapam). The hall has 985 pillars and was built in 1569. Beautiful sculptures adorn the pillars and walls. The five musical pillars just outside the Ayiramkal Mandapam are worth seeing.
History of the Temple
Historians believe that Kulashekarar Pandyan of the Pandyan Dynasty built the temple in first century C.E. The kings who came after him continued to build on the temple. In 14 century C.E, Malik Kafur of Delhi Sultanate attacked the temple. He and his army looted and ransacked many temples in South India. They carried away gold, silver and other valuables to Delhi.
Later the Vijayanagar Empire defeated the Muslim Sultanate. They rebuilt and reopened the temple. Vishwanatha Nayakar, a king of the Nayaka dynasty, undertook further work on the temple in late 16 and early 17 centuries. Thirumalai Nayak built a number of mandapams during his reign from 1623 to 1655.
During British rule, the temple suffered from neglect. However Tamil Hindus began restoration work in 1959. The work was completed in 1995.
Daily pooja schedules are from 5:00 to 11:15 am and 4:30 to 10:00 pm. Palliarai Pooja is from 9:30 to 10:00 pm. In this special pooja, an idol of Sundareshwarar is carried on a palanquin to the shrine of Meenakshi. The idol is then brought back the next day morning.
Every devotee who visits the temple gets a laddu as prasadam.
The temple strictly prohibits use of mobile phones and cameras inside the temple. Half pants, sleeveless tops and torch are taboo. Devotees have to leave them behind in lockers for a nominal fee.
If you liked the post, you could…
Read more stories and get updates on my Facebook page.
Subscribe to the free and informative e-newsletter.